Grant Park Community Farmer’s market, homemade breakfast, leash the dogs, swing by FiNCA for espressos to launch and head to the trail or Beltline – this is our typical, albeit rare, perfect Sunday off. Atlanta and its surrounding geography are treasure troves of green adventure space, winding rivers, and awesome recreating opportunities. Grab a 4-pack of cold brew to go and download the newest Geocaching App. We’ve gone ahead and gathered a few of our favorite outings below:
- Westside Park and Trails – this new addition to Atlanta features THE reservoir from Netflix’s Stranger Things. Dogs love it, we love it, there’s a great playground, and Marta is even close by!
- Lake Allatoona – zip 20 minutes north of Atlanta for great lake recreation. Watercraft rentals are a great idea, or just a walk around the lake trails is a great way to catch a breath from the hustle of the city.
- Piedmont Park – you cannot go wrong in the heart of Atlanta. From farmers markets to festivals and live music, to a dog park that just won’t quit, recreational sports complex, and room to roam – there is something for everyone. There are plenty of restaurants and watering holes like Guac y Margy’s or TicTac close by for the post-adventure endeavor, as well. Piedmont Park is especially LGBTQ+ friendly and we absolutely love spending time there!
- Arabia Mountain – also a frequent film and tv production location, this giant granite slab/quarry boasts miles and miles of trails just southeast of Atlanta. The history is rich and our dogs love a little quarry dip!
- Sweetwater Park – this beautiful, hilly trail system running alongside and across the historic Sweetwater Creek
- Westside and Southside Beltline Trails – we’re partial to these slices of our famed Atlanta Beltline. Great restaurants, art, and shady trees abound in these areas!
- Kirkwood Urban Forest – this hidden gem in the cute south west Atlanta neighborhood Kirkwood is a great afternoon adventure spot. Big trees and dense foliage make for a lush escape, if only for a mile or two!
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – we’re spoiled with these world-class gardens right in the middle of the city. Next to Piedmont Park, featuring incredible seasonal changes and blooms, we love the Gardens namely because they’re kid friendly, open-air, and perfectly stroll-able…think date material.
- Chattahoochee Nature Center – just a touch further north of Atlanta, the Nature Center has an extensive trail program and…reindeer during the Holiday Season! Go for the butterfly house and exhibit, stay for a scenic hike.